TREATY 7 INDIGENOUS ALLY TOOLKIT
WHAT IS AN ALLY?
When it comes to creating a positive & sustainable impact on the lives of Indigenous people, it is important to understand the role that individuals play within the collective experience. An ally recognizes that every person has a basic right to human dignity, respect, and equal access to resources.
Being an ally is about disrupting oppressive spaces by educating others on the realities and histories of marginalized people.
An ally acknowledges that building relationships between Indigenous and non-Indigenous people is work of the heart. It requires a certain humbling to allow our hearts and minds to accept new, and often challenging, information.
- Transfers their privilege to those who have less.
- Speaks up. When scared or uncomfortable.
- Allows space to express thoughts and feelings.
- Walks alongside one another.
- Listens deeply and from the heart.
- Plants seeds of truth in conversations with others.
- Believes and validates the stories they hear.
- Takes on the battles and burdens of those who are weary.
Culture & Language Circle