Indigenous Gathering Place Society of Calgary
Part-Time Contract – Community Engagement Coordinator
Closing date: Jan 4, 2019
Who we are
A six-member board, consulting agency, Elders and Indigenous youth advisors, and over two dozen committee members form the Indigenous Gathering Place (IGP) Society—a non-profit organization formed in direct response to the call for a reconciled Canada.
To create a space in Calgary where we share, connect, heal, renew and celebrate Indigenous culture. A place to protect Indigenous practices, languages; and Elders’ wisdom, oral and written teachings among all nations and all our relations.
This is a part-time contract position with an end date of March 31 st , 2019 to support a community engagement process. The Community Engagement Coordinator will work with the IGP’s volunteer Community Engagement Committee to plan and implement an engagement process to gather input from grassroots community members.
As of December 2018, potential locations and land development for the IGP are becoming more clear. The IGP Society of Calgary is seeking input from those who have a potential interest in the future of the IGP (Indigenous and all community members, donors, neighbours, Indigenous organizations, etc.) to help build an IGP that will be sustainable for seven generations to come.
Inclusive community engagement is at the core of how the IGP has operated since conversations began in 2014, and will remain at the core of how it continues to operate. Between January and March 2019, the focus of community engagement for the IGP Society of Calgary will be to help develop a sustainable operating model for the IGP once it is built and weigh in on uses for the facility.
Volunteer “IGP Helpers” will host small group conversations with members from key community groups over two months. The role of the Community Engagement Coordinator is to connect IGP Helpers with groups and organizations, and to provide support so that community conversations happen in a good way.
Primary activities and responsibilities
- Research key community groups for the IGP to reach out to (based on the list below);
- Contact community groups on behalf of the IGP to book small group conversations (these conversations will be led by volunteer ‘IGP Helpers’ who will be trained and supported by the community engagement committee);
- Connect IGP Helpers to groups looking to host community conversations & make sure the Helpers have what they need for the conversations to take place;
- Transcribe and organize data (hand-written notes) that come in from IGP Helpers.
Key community groups
- Indigenous youth (aged 12 to 30) living in and around Calgary
- Indigenous Elders living in and around Calgary
- Indigenous community members living in and around Calgary
- Organizations in Calgary that have a mandate to work with Indigenous peoples
- Indigenous Elders, youth, and community members living on-reserve in southern Alberta
- Potential funders (government, private, and individual)
- Organizations in Calgary with a declared interest in advancing reconciliation
- Experience working with urban Indigenous communities and/or organizations
- Respects and values equity, inclusiveness and diversity of communities and individuals
- Interest in community engagement
- Administration skills with proficiency in Google product suite
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Existing connections with Indigenous youth communities and/or organizations an asset
What we offer
The Indigenous Gathering Place Initiative is gaining more momentum every year. We are a group of passionate, like-minded people, dedicated to seeing this through. Although the creation of an Indigenous Gathering Place is not a new initiative, the process we follow is unique to most organizations. By working within ethical space, we are bridging the gap between the traditional Indigenous and western practice, we recognize both systems as equal partners.
This part-time position is paid hourly (up to 30 hours/month) at a rate of $20/hr to $25/hr.
Please forward your resume and cover letter as to the attention of the IGP Community Engagement Committee via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Community Engagement Coordinator” in the subject line . This posting will remain open until January 4, 2019 with a possible start date of January 8 or a start date as agreed upon at the time of hire.
Funding for this position is generously provided by