Chinook Lodge Student Advisor
At the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT), we are the shapers. The makers. The originals, driven by a passion for excellence and results that count. We offer action-based learning, solution-focused research and enterprising collaborations with partners from around the world. We are a global leader in applied education, an Alberta Top Employer and a destination workplace empowering people to make a difference in the lives of students. Now is an exciting time to join this one-of-a-kind place … SAIT.
Learner and Academic Services is focused on creating and supporting services and processes that enable and enrich SAIT’s student experience. Learner and Academic Services brings together academic development, delivery and quality assurance of learning systems while providing resources and services designed to help students reach their full academic potential. Through a diverse range of campus life activities and unique, flexible programming, Learner and Academic Services helps students succeed at SAIT. The Chinook Lodge Student Advisor’s primary role is to support Indigenous students’ successful transition through, and completion of, SAIT programs by providing strategically defined retention efforts. A holistic approach will be used in assisting with Indigenous students transition and with increasing retention working collaboratively and participating with Learner and Academic Services staff in such things as planning orientation activities, monitoring student progress including assessing student needs, referring to appropriate services, providing emotional support and proactively organizing interventions for students experiencing difficulties. The Advisor will also work to promote awareness of Indigenous cultures, histories and contemporary issues and assist in the planning of cultural events. The advisor also works to promote SAIT programs and services including attending indigenous community events assisting and arranging on campus tours as well as assisting perspective students in the application and admission process.
This is a temporary salaried position with an end date of December 30, 2020
Student Transition and Retention
- Closely monitors students’ progress utilizing the student database tracking system and submits weekly update to Chinook Lodge Coordinator.
- Maintains a constant and consistent presence at the Chinook Lodge to proactively support the needs of Aboriginal students and accomplishing this by prioritizing tasks, managing time, and maintaining a detailed schedule of proposed activities.
- Facilitates interventions for students experiencing difficulties.
- Makes referrals to Chinook Lodge Coordinator for access to emergency funds in crisis intervention.
- Liaises with various internal SAIT services and external programs and agencies to establish an appropriate referral network for students experiencing difficulties.
- Assist in the coordination and delivery of peer mentorship programs for Aboriginal students.
- Responds to requests for information about the Chinook Lodge and SAIT programs and follows up with inquiries.
- Follows-up with prospective Aboriginal students, using best practice in relationship management.
- Conducts recruitment tours of Chinook Lodge resources and SAIT programs and services to prospective students and community groups.
- Delivers presentations for career fairs and other events that target Aboriginal students.
- Works with SAIT recruitment and SAIT Summer Camps personnel.
- Promotes SAIT programs and the Chinook Lodge at strategically determined trade shows and careers as determined by Chinook Lodge Coordinator.
- Assists prospective students with the SAIT application and admission process.
- Positively represents SAIT and actively promotes its objectives to students and their families, the general public, government and other organizations.