The Women’s Centre of Calgary is seeking a Reconciliation Program Coordinator to fill a part-time, project position until the end of March 2020. Work within an open, supportive team environment with a strong community-based organization focused on social justice.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Reconciliation Coordinator will oversee the Women’s Centre’s (WC) Reconciliation strategy and work to:
- Develop and share strategies and best practices to promote the inclusion of Indigenous women’s leadership in WC programs, services and community;
- Recruit Indigenous volunteers, match them to existing Centre volunteer opportunities, and create new roles to meet volunteer needs and interests;
- Develop and facilitate a training workshop for all volunteers on Indigenous practices and issues;
- Work closely with other WC staff and volunteers to foster participation and leadership for Indigenous women in all areas of the WC;
- Act as community liaison to build strategic relationships in Calgary;
The successful candidate will have many, or all, of the below qualifications:
- Knowledge of Reconciliation in a Calgary/Alberta context;
- In-depth understanding of the history, location and cultural diversity of Indigenous people in Alberta;
- Have experience working with Indigenous groups, communities, and Indigenous-serving agencies;
- Possess critical awareness of the nature and root causes of complex issues such as gender inequality and issues experienced by Indigenous communities in Canada;
- Ability to accommodate some evening work;
- Experience working with volunteers;
- Knowledge of Treaty Seven Indigenous language or Cree an asset.