Opokaa’sin North Star Program Assistant
May 27 – August 30, 2019
($20/hr ~ 35 hrs/week)
*Some flex time (evenings and weekends) may be required
Aapatsi’kakatosi (the North Star Program) helps support and build resilient Indigenous families in Lethbridge by providing opportunities to enhance positive parenting experiences through a cultural lens.
Opokaa’sin seeks a dynamic and effective person to expand and families connected to Opokaa’sin and enhance existing relationships and partnerships to meet the needs of Indigenous families. This strong communicator will be part of a dynamic team in this challenging and rewarding role.
The ideal candidate will have extensive Indigenous program experience, strong communication skills, ability to develop and maintain effective and responsive partnerships and develop and expand resources to meet the needs of Aboriginal families
The North Star Program Assistant will be assisting the Parent Educator in providing support services for Indigenous families connected to Opokaa’sin programs and services. The N.S.P. Assistant will help coordinate and plan parenting classes, programming and family experiences throughout the summer. The Assistant will be responsible in helping the Parent Coordinator in connecting families to existing services and programs within the City of Lethbridge and establishing working protocols with other community agencies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To assist in providing relationship building and family screening to all Aboriginal families about services and supports available in the community. (newsletter/social media)
- To assist in providing client referrals, engagement and case management to families and one on one monitoring and follow up with documentation.
- To assist in facilitating all cultural family activities and events
- To be liaison between programs and families
- Attend and participate in planning parent advisory committees (PAC)
- To assist in coordinating and planning of parenting classes and workshops
- To assist in providing services in a culturally appropriate manner
- To assist in establishing working relationships with other community agencies
- To be familiar with and abide by policies set forth by the agency
- Must maintain confidentiality at all times
- To participate in additional training as assigned by the Early Intervention Team Leader
- Attend all mandatory meetings, staff meetings, EI team meetings, etc.
Reporting Line: The Opokaa’sin North Star Program Assistant is directly accountable to the Early Intervention Team Leader
Education in human services
Experience working with Indigenous families
Knowledge of Lethbridge community agencies and organizations
Awareness and understanding of Indigenous culture and issues
CPR & First Aid certification
CYIM & Criminal Record Check
Good driving record
Willing to obtain a Class 4 drivers license
Provide 2 references
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Tuesday, May 21st, 2019
Please submit: Resume, criminal records (vulnerable sector) or receipt of check, CYIM, and two references. Please also submit proof of your FN status and post-secondary